If you’re a bridge enthusiast, you may have heard of the North American Bridge Championship (NABC), an annual tournament that attracts thousands of players from around the world. The tournament moves around to different cities each year, but one location that has become a popular host is Las Vegas. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at NABC Las Vegas, what makes it so special, and what you can expect if you attend.
What is NABC Las Vegas?
NABC Las Vegas is a major bridge tournament that is held in the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. The tournament is one of three annual NABC events hosted by the American Contract Bridge League (ACBL), which is the governing body for bridge in North America. The other two events are held in the spring and fall, respectively, and are usually located in different cities. NABC Las Vegas typically takes place in early summer, and lasts for about a week.
Why is NABC Las Vegas so special?
NABC Las Vegas is special for a number of reasons. For one, it’s held in Las Vegas, which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. This means that attendees can combine their love of bridge with all the other attractions that the city has to offer, from world-class dining and shopping to casinos, shows, and more. The tournament itself is also unique in that it attracts players of all levels, from beginners to experts, and offers a wide range of events and competitions to suit everyone’s interests.
What events are offered at NABC Las Vegas?
NABC Las Vegas offers a variety of events and competitions to suit players of all levels and interests. Some of the most popular events include:
- Open Pairs: This is a standard pairs event that is open to players of all levels.
- IMP Pairs: This is a pairs event that uses the International Match Point (IMP) scoring system, which is different from the standard match point system used in most bridge events.
- Gold Rush Pairs: This event is specifically designed for players with fewer than 750 masterpoints.
- Side Games: In addition to the main events, NABC Las Vegas also offers a variety of side games, including knockout tournaments, Swiss teams, and more.
What should I expect if I attend NABC Las Vegas?
If you attend NABC Las Vegas, you can expect to have a great time, meet new people, and play some great bridge. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to explore the city and take advantage of all the other attractions that Las Vegas has to offer. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Accommodations: NABC Las Vegas is usually held in a large hotel or convention center, so attendees can stay on-site or in nearby hotels. Make sure to book your accommodations early to get the best rates.
- Schedule: The tournament usually runs for about a week, with events scheduled throughout the day and evening. Make sure to plan your schedule accordingly, and allow plenty of time for rest and relaxation.
- Fees: There is a registration fee to attend NABC Las Vegas, which varies depending on the events you plan to participate in. Make sure to budget accordingly, and check the tournament website for the latest information on fees and deadlines.
NABC Las Vegas is one of the premier bridge tournaments in North America, and offers players of all levels and interests a chance to play great bridge in one of the world’s most exciting cities. If you’re a bridge enthusiast, attending NABC Las Vegas is an experience you won’t want to miss.